Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Miss Kitty gives a "butt-up" to grooming


Realizing that I really enjoy being with animals, I began volunteering at the National Cat Protection Society in Spring Valley. This shelter has wonderful cats available for adoption and a retirement community for those who have out-lived their person.

In one of the adoption rooms where several cats co-exist, Miss Kitty runs right up to me when I enter. On this visit, I discovered that she really loves to be brushed. It’s all about the cats and if they don’t come up to me, I won’t disturb them. There are plenty of felines asking for attention!

In the retirement center, there is a big black “bear” whom I haven’t been formally introduced to yet. She l-o-v-e-d to be groomed and I fondly thought of her person smiling down on me. Over in the special care center (older kitties with kidney disease), I simply sit down on a chair and place a blanket on my lap. The 21-year-old Sparkey jumps up on my lap for some quality time. Sometimes there are two or three kitties vying for lap space. With some shifting, there’s room for two. Quiet, blissful, meditative time together.