Sunday, November 6, 2005

Adopt an attitude of gratitude

This Sunday morning, I did not visit my hospice family. The father’s health is failing and I wish to respect their privacy as a family in this difficult time. Per the mother’s wishes, I will pay at least one more visit to the family. They radiate much love and spirituality. It is these experiences that remind one to be thankful for their blessings and to adopt an attitude of gratitude.

We still woke up early. Thank you, kitty “alarm clocks” where the snooze button is to feed them. But they bring us such joy, thank you! We took a walk up University Avenue to Bread & Cie in Hillcrest. This is a very popular breakfast spot and this morning was no exception as there must have been forty people in front of us. They have a system down, taking our order and cashing us out while it is being filled. I enjoyed an espresso which allegedly has less caffiene than coffee. Some contest, I get all giddy on a thimble-full of java.


On our walk back, we stopped at the Hillcrest Farmer’s Market to pick up some produce. I admired all that the flower vendors were offering and chose a bouquet of red-orange sunflowers, dahlias, and marigolds. It’s beautiful to see people walking home with flowers to brighten their home. Today, I was the recipient of some smiles!

One block from home, we met an older gentleman and Winston, his terrier who may be the same age in dog years. At least I may assume that they have been with each other for a while as their gait was the same speed. We said “good mornings” and I crouched to scratch behind Winston’s ears. As we parted, the gentleman said good day and “Winston thanks you.” My pleasure!

At home, I was able to refer to my class notes and make three flower arrangements from the bouquet. Our sensei, teacher, would no doubt have a lot to critique on these, starting with me not exactly following the style of Moribana Inclining Form. Pictured here is my second attempt at an advanced Hana-isho form. I love how the red in the stem colors the water a light magenta. Many thanks for all the beauty and wonders that surround us.