Saturday, December 8, 2007

Ratatouille

We had an Italian mouse in the house. I walked into the kitchen and heard crunch, crunch, crunch coming from the pantry. I didn't actually see the mouse, but I had evidence to clean up. He bypassed the sunflower seeds and bit holes into two bags of penne-shaped pasta. I don't know what his preference was, whole wheat or semolina.

I gave the cats one day, leaving the cabinet door open. In all fairness, it wasn't an attraction for the mouse anymore, with all the non-mouse-proof containers removed, only jars and cans remaining. I went to the All Vegan Store in University Height to purchase a Humane Mouse Trap. I baited it with peanut butter on a thin slice of bread (didn't have crackers). How embarrassing that we have to do this with four cats in the house.

Next morning, I had a tiny little mouse in the house, green house trap that is. I rushed over to Cowles Mountain to release him with his little peanut butter snack. He was a tiny mouse; I have no idea if he's part of a family or traveling solo. I'll have to go around looking for dime-size holes to plug up with steel wool. I'll have to get more mouse-proof containers for all my pantry items. This humane mouse trap is really most humane and least stressful for all involved. Wouldn't want the four kitties to get worked up.