Sunday, August 17, 2008

Garden Inspiration


I still get over to our old North Park neighborhood because I work at All Vegan on Wednesdays and pop over to the Water Lady. This alley cottage was a few streets behind that, in the neighborhoods that we used to walk, but I just don't remember it.


I remember seeing pictures and gardening shows of small backyard and vertical gardens and being really impressed. They were city gardens in areas like San Francisco. There's just lots of little detail to appreciate in a small space. We'll be replanting our front yard with more drought tolerant plants and I'm overwhelmed by the size of the area. Maybe I should approach it like several little gardens. There are sections divided by driveway or sidewalk. One patch is in the shape of the state of Utah: maybe I'll fashion a Moab sandstone arch for the little succulents in that bed. Larry suggested that where we plant some "hens & chicks", we can put some rooster statues there too. How do you like that, dad?!


I'm checking out xeriscape and water-wise gardening books from the library. I'm compiling lists of plants. You have to keep it interesting by keeping in mind verticality, blooming times, and compatibility. We'll probably just end up going to a garden center and get what's available; just because it's in a book or on my list doesn't mean I'll be able to find it. I have great appreciations for the nice gardens we see on our walks through our neighborhoods.